[OKFN-IN] Research Assistant position for SIRCA-III project at IIIT-B

Onkar Hoysala onkar at fieldsofview.in
Thu Jul 30 11:18:48 UTC 2015

Hello,
*
*International Institute of Information Technology - Bangalore (IIIT-B)
is looking to recruit one Research Assistant for a 16 months period
starting immediately.
*
Project Overview:* "Open and/or Apolitical? A critical re-examination of
Open Information Systems" is funded by International Development
Research Centre (IDRC) and administered by Singapore Internet Research
Centre (SiRC) under the research programme called Strengthening
Information Societies Research Capacity Alliance III (SIRCA III). It
draws on critical information studies and social practice theory to
build a framework to understand the implications of Open Information
Systems from the points of view of those who access these systems.
Studying the dialectics of structure and agency, our goal is to better
understand the linkages between new forms of "digitally enabled
openness" (in our case, Open Information Systems) and "positive
development outcomes". Thus, we frame our research problem around the
dynamic interplay of information system structure (including how their
content was produced, classified and made available/ accessible) and the
reshaping of individual capabilities (the different kinds of capital
that individuals possess, as well as their ability to improvise and
learn) in accessing and using that system.

*Job Description:* The Research assistant is to be recruited full-time
for 16 months starting immediately. The minimum eligibility for this
position will be an MA in any social science or humanities discipline.
Prior experience will be an added advantage, but not mandatory.

S/he will be responsible for:

  * assisting with literature survey,
  * creating a dossier of initiatives on open information systems and
    relevant resource persons,
  * preparing interim and final project report
  * assisting in writing up theoretical essays
  * any other coordinating activities required for the project

The position is at the Centre for IT and Public Policy at IIIT-B.
Please contact Prof. Bidisha (bidisha at iiitb.ac.in) or Prof. Janaki
(janaki.srinivasan at iiitb.ac.in) to apply, or for any further information.
--

Thanks and regards,
Onkar Hoysala

Fields of View,
#1915, 5th cross, 18th A Main, JP Nagar 2nd Phase, Bangalore 560078.
Website: http://www.fieldsofview.in