[Okfn-irl] WePromise - Digital Rights and the European Elections

Kevin Flanagan kev.flanagan at gmail.com
Mon May 5 22:56:48 UTC 2014

Hello,

The European elections will take place on the 23 May. It's time to
call your local election candidates and put digital rights on the
European agenda.

EDRi a group of 36 digital and civil rights organisations from across
Europe are running the WePromise.eu campaign to get candidates to sign
up and show their support for digital rights.

In this post Snowden era of mass surveillance Digital Rights are more
important than ever.

In Short the WePromise.eu Charter calls on candidates to support the
following -

1. I will promote transparency, access to documents and citizen
participation

2. I will support data protection and privacy legislation

3. I will defend unrestricted access to the Internet and online Services

4. I will promote an update of copyright legislation

5. I will not support blanket, unchecked surveillance measures

6. I will promote online anonymity and encryption

7. I will not support privatised enforcement outside the rule of law

8. I will support export controls of surveillance and censorship
technology

9. I will defend the principle of multistakeholderism

10. I will promote Free software (Open source software)

So far only 3 Irish candidates have signed the Charter -
https://www.wepromise.eu/en/country/14

Lets get a few more on that list.

Here are the details of candidates as announced on RTE.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0429/613803-european-parliament/

https://www.wepromise.eu/en
https://twitter.com/wepromiseEU
https://www.facebook.com/WePromise2014

Do what you can to spread the word and most importantly call your
local candidates.

Best Wishes

Kevin Flanagan