[okfn-dev] Virtuoso via sparql

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Dec 2 23:54:46 UTC 2010

On 2 December 2010 16:01, William Waites <ww at eris.okfn.org> wrote:
> Yes, get the layercake branch of rdflib and you'll have a remote
> sparql store. This is good for lighter query operations and not
> heavier data manipulation. It is also read-only.

So no sparql update?

> As for the pyodbc patch issue, it's really not that hard. It's just
> like installing a python program. Download it, apply the patch, python
> setup.py install. Make sure you have some odbc library installed in a
> predictable place.

I'm not being difficult but this is *really* not going to happen for
most developers, me included :) (it also means on every machine where
we do stuff I have to remember these steps, I have to worry about the
patch being kept up to date with the source etc etc ...)

If the library doesn't basically run out of the box (or have a deb
...) the average person is just not going to bother (when they can get
stuff for mongo, sql etc that does "just work out of the box").

I raise this with some virtuoso folks when I met them today and and
they seemed to agree so perhaps we can get movement on this.

Rufus