[okfn-dev] [ckan-dev] coding style

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Wed Jan 26 21:28:01 UTC 2011

On 26 January 2011 21:07, William Waites <ww at styx.org> wrote:
> * [2011-01-26 20:59:03 +0000] David Read <david.read at okfn.org> écrit:
>
> ] I think where there is such a wide practice of projects happily using
> ] static / class methods (as you've noted), there are more important
> ] things we can spend our time discussing and improving. Such as running
> ] untested code in production, bugs not being tracked and unrun/failing
> ] auto-tests.
>
> Well, no. This is particularly important in the UKLII mess that
> Seb and James and I have been cleaning up and in preventing
> similar bad practice from being introduced into openbiblio.

I've not read that code, but I can't imagine static methods being
particularly misleading or worrying to the average OO programmer, can
they?

> Do you have any specific untested code running in production or
> failing tests that are concerning you at the moment? And as far
> as I can see all the various bugtrackers are overflowing with
> tickets so they seem to be being used...

Yes, Seb and I have been concerned about about various chunks of
untested code in CKAN during the past month. They are ticketed so
hopefully feed into our process of what gets done.

Lots of tickets doesn't mean that all the important ones are covered.
For example, I couldn't find that atom feed one mentioned today. I'd
rather have a few duplicate tickets rather than leave (or even fix)
problems unrecorded.

We've been in danger of getting in knots this week with checkins to
CKAN, because no-one has been bothered to fix the build (hmm perhaps I
should have done this...) Basically we must care enough to not
completely ignore the nag emails.

Dave