[okfn-dev] OKFN Dashboard Data Sources?

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Wed Jul 27 17:00:04 UTC 2011

Hi Lucy,

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Lucy Chambers <lucy.chambers at okfn.org> wrote:
> I had an idea for the dashboard, but I have no idea how it would work.
> Something to quantify mailing list activity (e.g. visualisation /
> message count over time) this would help us see at a glance:
>
> a) which new mailing lists (e.g. new regional ones) are taking off and
> we should pay particular attention to
> b) which are being abandoned and we need to inject some additional
> effort to / possibly deprecate.
>
> Just a thought, maybe you were thinking that anyway!

Have you seen sparklines [1] before? They're used on GitHub.com [2] to
indicate the activity of a project and I think it works really well.
I'm not entirely sure how to generate the aggregates needed for that
from the activity data without doing small bits of nasty stuff, but it
shouldn't be too hard. Maybe we can even include them on
lists.okfn.org?

- Friedrich

[1] http://omnipotent.net/jquery.sparkline/
[2] e.g. https://github.com/rails