[okfn-labs] Recent work on PyBossa

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Aug 3 14:14:44 UTC 2012

On 2 August 2012 12:51, Gregor Aisch <gregor.aisch at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi,

This is really great Gregor.

> Here's just a brief update on what I've been doing the last days. I set up
> my own PyBossa instance on which I'm going to run a few apps used in data
> journalism projects. One of them is about classifying links within a
> political social network I parsed from Wikipedia, the other will be used to
> track advertising in publications by political parties in Germany.

Very nice :-)

> When I started to create the first PyBossa app I realized that the way the
> current tutorial apps (such as flickrperson) are created is way too
> complicated. So at first I wrote pybossa-client to simplify things, such as

Agreed. We really want to simplify the creation of new apps (and, if
possible, move thigns that will change into standard libraries with
stable APIs so we can change in future without breaking stuff too much
for people!)

> firing JSON API calls to PyBossa etc.
>
> https://github.com/PyBossa/pybossa-client

Nice. This is a python client right?

> After the first app was ready we felt that the way the tasks are presented
> currently is a bit distracting, and for some users it could be even
> daunting. That's why I wrote a small framework for hosting pybossa apps
> outside of PyBossa instances.
>
> https://github.com/gka/pybossa-apps

This is *extremely* useful. Any README? Also would you be happy to
move this to https://github.com/PyBossa?

> Here's the first app running on that framework (German):
>
> http://apps.pybossa.vis4.net/d4a

Very cool. Would you be happy for me to blog this (or you blog this!)
on http://okfnlabs.org/blog/ (it's a jekyll site ... - source repo
https://github.com/okfn/okfn.github.com)

Rufus