[okfn-labs] Recent work on PyBossa

Gregor Aisch gregor.aisch at okfn.org
Fri Aug 3 14:55:02 UTC 2012

Am 03.08.2012 um 16:14 schrieb Rufus Pollock:

> Agreed. We really want to simplify the creation of new apps (and, if
> possible, move thigns that will change into standard libraries with
> stable APIs so we can change in future without breaking stuff too much
> for people!)
>
>> firing JSON API calls to PyBossa etc.
>>
>> https://github.com/PyBossa/pybossa-client
>
> Nice. This is a python client right?

right.

>> After the first app was ready we felt that the way the tasks are presented
>> currently is a bit distracting, and for some users it could be even
>> daunting. That's why I wrote a small framework for hosting pybossa apps
>> outside of PyBossa instances.
>>
>> https://github.com/gka/pybossa-apps
>
> This is *extremely* useful. Any README? Also would you be happy to
> move this to https://github.com/PyBossa?

Readme and the move to github.com/pybossa will follow as soon as the cookie authentication is working. I haven't managed to get it working, and I think it is useless unless users can't submit tasks under their own identity.

>> Here's the first app running on that framework (German):
>>
>> http://apps.pybossa.vis4.net/d4a
>
> Very cool. Would you be happy for me to blog this (or you blog this!)
> on http://okfnlabs.org/blog/ (it's a jekyll site ... - source repo
> https://github.com/okfn/okfn.github.com)

Sure I will blog about this.

Btw, I just added another feature since I thought the current progress could be displayed more clearly. For the big progress bar I used a different calculation. Instead of n_completed_tasks / n_tasks I compute the progress as n_taskruns_submitted / n_taskruns_needed, where the first is the sum of Math.min(taskruns(task), task.n_answers) and the second is the sum of task.n_answers. This way the progress moves on right from the first submitted tasks.

http://apps.pybossa.vis4.net/d4a/progress

Tell me what you think about the task badges? Maybe this don't scale when there are millions of tasks, but anyway, the visualizer in me wanted to see the whole project at once :)

Gregor