[okfn-labs] [okfn-za] technical advice sought: scraping files

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Dec 7 11:35:14 UTC 2012

Hi Kevin,

I'm cc'ing okfn-labs mailing list [1] where I'm sure people will have
more good suggestions (you may want to join!).

Depending on how geeky / tecchy you are there are various options.

Less geeky:

* http://www.cometdocs.com/ (non-free)
* http://finereader.abbyy.com/ (non-free)

More geeky ... For PDFs:

* pdftotext / pdftoxml
* tesseract for OCR (you could even do PDF => image => tesseract to do
text extraction ...)
* scraperwiki (i think use pdftotext??)

See also:

* <http://getthedata.org/questions/339/excel-table-from-a-pdf/>