[okfn-labs] A job for PyBossa?

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 17:11:58 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 3:38 AM, Daniel Lombraña González <
teleyinex at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying the app and right now but it is giving me a 500 :-( Probably
> they are overloaded.

I played with it a couple of times successfully.  It was up just now when I
checked.  I think they could improve the UI by:
- preloading the next photo in the background
- using arrow keys for voting instead of 1, 2, 3
- adding "can't tell" and "bad image" options to the voting

but generally it seems like a pretty nice little app.  I like the map
integration that lets you view voting results on a map grid and then zoom
in to see the detailed photos http://sandy.hotosm.org/grid/?sandy

> I think that if they have created their own app, they should focus on
> that. PyBossa will not be too different from their platform except for the
> community, and we do not have yet a lot of users :-) (we are working on
> this, hehe).

I question the premise that one can build a substantial community of people
who will volunteer for random tasks regardless of the domain.  People
interested in crisis aid aren't necessarily going to be interested in open
science and vice versa.

> About image classification: PyBossa does not provide you a generic tool
> for doing this, but you can fork without problems the PyBossa Flickr
> Person App <https://github.com/PyBossa/app-flickrperson> which provides a
> "minimum working app" for doing image classification, so I think that the
> answer for your question is more or less yes, we do provide a generic
> solution for image classification,

"Clone this repo and start hacking" doesn't meet my definition of
out-of-the-box (althhough it's certainly better than having to start from
scratch).  If the MapMill app's readme is correct, the process there would
be 1) dump a set of images into a directory, 2) run a utility to extract
the EXIF geolocation data, 3) log in to the admin UI to set up the site.  I
haven't tried it myself, so there may be a bunch of stuff missing.   That's
more along the lines of the level of effort/skill that I was thinking of.

Tom