[okfn-labs] PyBossa for cultural heritage transcription/description?

Etienne Posthumus eposthumus at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 20:15:40 UTC 2012

On 21 November 2012 17:55, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> wrote:

> It is a lovely project, and I'm wondering how far we are from being able
> to - e.g. - have a PyBossa image classification/description project with a
> cultural heritage institution or open content project (like the Internet
> Archive or Wikimedia Foundation).

All the pieces are there, as Rufus says it could be used right now. As a
matter of fact it is being done, albeit for a simpler application.

We are busy making a 'tagging game' for the Amsterdam Museum to allow
middle school pupils to tag items as part of their school visits to the
museum.
The source for the images is the Adlib museum management system, which has
an API. The first prototype version runs on Django, as the museum were in a
bit of a hurry to get something out the door and had specific requirements
with regards to logins and writing the data back to the Adlib database. In
phase 2 of the project we are adding a link to PyBossa so that one can
generate a PyBossa app from the Django application, without needing to do
any Python coding.

The images are previewed and selected from the Adlib search API, questions
are managed by the museum staff in the Django Admin backend, and the
PyBossa items are generated as a combination of these two and created using
the PyBossa API plus the user secret key.

As soon as this part is functional it should appear in the Crowdcrafting
site as an app.

EP