[okfn-labs] [okfn-discuss] OKFN & Environment Data

Velichka Dimitrova velichka.dimitrova at okfn.org
Fri Oct 12 14:32:21 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Very happy to hear about this conversation getting started.

Indeed we planned to have a sprint about energy this fall -
http://sprints.okfnlabs.org/energy/ - which we have postponed until the
beginning of next year. We are looking into clearly defining a topic what
we are going to work on, preparing the data and background research in
advance.

A revived Open Climate Science working group as well as social scientists
with environmental focus from the Open Economics working
group<http://openeconomics.net/> could
assist in this.

Please let us know if:

   - If you have any ideas about a topic, which could be addressed in the
   sprint or
   - you would like to participate in the current discussion around the
   theme of energy subsidies

Looking forward to hear from you!

Velichka

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM, James Smith <james at floppy.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Friday, 12 October 2012 at 12:23, Jonathan Gray wrote:
>
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM, James Smith <james at floppy.org.uk> wrote:
>
> I can't speak for AMEE (any more), but this is unlikely to come from
> within the company. Adoption of the data by external organisations
> interested in openness is the only way it's likely to happen at this point,
> unfortunately.
>

> Do you think that AMEE might be able to provide pointers to relevant URLs
> where someone else could find descriptions of / links to the openly
> licensed data they (re-)publish?
>
> The data is released with all sources and documentation in
> https://github.com/AMEE/datasets. This content is all searchable via
> http://discover.amee.com, but there's a lot of it! There is an open
> format for computable datasets (written to support an open AMEE effort) at
> https://github.com/spatchcock/calcJSON and a conversion tool from AMEE to
> calcJSON at https://github.com/Floppy/connery, which was written at the
> OKFestival during the greenhackathon.
>
> However, that's all probably *completely* impenetrable to someone without
> knowledge of what AMEE does and how it structures its data, so the first
> step would be to get something written up explaining it all.
>
> I believe we're planning a dedicated sprint focusing on energy, the
> environment and climate data with OKFN Labs. This is based on work we did
> with Europe's Energy last year: http://energy.publicdata.eu/ee/index.html
>
> Yes, Velichka was telling me about this; sounds good.
>
> cheers,
> James

Velichka Dimitrova
Coordinator of the Open Economics Working Group
Open Knowledge Foundation
http://okfn.org | http://openeconomics.net