[okfn-labs] Developments on Data Protocols specs including Data Packages, JSON Table Schema and Simple Data Format

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Apr 22 10:42:47 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I wanted to let everyone know there has been some pretty active development
and discussion over the last few months in some of the Data Protocols specs
and the associated github issues. A brief summary is below.

We're also seeing various bits of "running code" for these specs such as:

* An R data tool from TrestleTech using Data Package, JSON Table Schema and
Simple Data Format specs
* A python library for JSON Table Schema -
https://github.com/mk270/json-table-schema-python
* A toolset for Data Package (and Simple Data Format)
https://github.com/okfn/dptools

Regards,

Rufus

## Data Package (v1.0 beta)

http://www.dataprotocols.org/en/latest/data-packages.html

- primary substantive change has been around the files/resources attribute
(we have settled on "resources"). This has been heavily developed and
reworked (listing of attributes, schema attribute etc).
- We now have something that will likely be stable going forward (any
additions will be enhancements such as additional attributes rather than
changes).

## JSON Table Schema (v1.0 beta2)

http://www.dataprotocols.org/en/latest/json-table-schema.html

- Minor clarifications
- Some major additions are under discussion such as

  - Primary keys - https://github.com/dataprotocols/dataprotocols/issues/21
  - Foreign keys - https://github.com/dataprotocols/dataprotocols/issues/23

## Simple Data Format

http://www.dataprotocols.org/en/latest/simple-data-format.html

- Refined down to: CSV + Data Package + JSON Table Schema
- Schema segment distilled out into JSON Table Schema
- Spec is now very simple and builds directly on Data Package + JSON Table
Schema

## CSV Dialect Description Format

http://www.dataprotocols.org/en/latest/csv-dialect.html

A new spec to describe CSV files formatting (separators, line-terminators
etc)