[okfn-labs] nomenklatura - thinking about naming

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich at pudo.org
Wed Apr 24 08:01:25 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I want to brush up the interface and docs for nomenklatura (
http://nomenklatura.pudo.org/) at some point, and the hardest thing about
this project is naming. Let me give you my one-sentence on what
nomenklatura does:

Nomenklatura is a data cleansing service that provides automated and manual
options for merging multiple forms of a name into a canonical form.

Example: when going through political databases, you may encounter not just
"Angela Merkel", but also "Angela Merkel, CDU", "Angela Merkel,
Chancellor", "Mrs. Angela Merkel", "MERKEL, Angela" etc. Nomenklatura does
some basic normalisation and matching to solve the easy cases here, and
then gives a nice UI to solve the harder merges by hand. In the end, you
would have a single entry with a list of aliases.

At the moment, the canonical form is called a "Value" in the domain model,
while the aliases are called "Link". This has lead to confusion. I
therefore want to rename the domain entities, so here's my questions:

1) What would people on this list call the canonical value (e.g. Entity,
Lemma, ...)?

2) What about the aliases (e.g. Alias, Link, SurfaceForm)?

3) How would you pitch it?

Thanks for any help!

- Friedrich