[okfn-labs] Questions about functionality of timeliner

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Apr 8 13:54:41 UTC 2013

On 8 April 2013 14:35, Daniel Dietrich <daniel.dietrich at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my colleagues Andrew and Greg from NDI (in CC) are interested using timeliner for a visual history of the Open Parliament Declaration. See the first attempt (link below)
>
> Looking into this I have a couple of questions / comments:
>
> 1. I would have expected that there would be something like a zoom: highlighting the marker on the map that relates to the item displayed to the left and in the timeline. Would it be possible to add functionality like this? Without this, the map is a little bit "lost" / disconnected to the text and timeline.
>
> 2. Also I would love to be able to klick on a marker on the map so it would then jump to the related text and timeline on the left side.

1+2 are covered by this issue: https://github.com/okfn/timeliner/issues/36

This will get fixed asap (as soon as i have a moment to look at further).

> 3. I would have loved to be able to share URLs to individual items in the timeline instead being only able to link to the whole timeliner.

Hmmm, that should not be impossible. Could you raise an issue:
https://github.com/okfn/timeliner/issues/36

> 4. It looks like some long URLs used in the main text area break the layout and collide with the description to the next item. Also could we include URL shortener here?

Url shortening would be non-trivial. We could probably just put in
ellipsis (...). Again could you open an issue.

> I love timeliner and think adding these functions would greatly add to the usability of the tool.

Great to get the feedback :-)

Rufus