[okfn-labs] Fwd: [open-data-day] Open Data Stack Exchange

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Apr 19 12:27:04 UTC 2013

On 19 April 2013 13:20, Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>
>> I was a follower, a questioner and a committer on this one and this
>> (older) proposal just on "data":
>>
>> http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/37195/data
>
> That proposal seems less biased than the current one.  Any idea why it
> failed?  The current one appears to be not only focused solely on the
> U.S., but U.S. *government* data only, which seems like a very small
> niche to organize a StackOverflow forum around.

The original proposal hasn't yet failed but it seems to have got
overtaken by the recent spurt on the open data one. personally i would
be happy with either (but open data one would be sort of nice - no
doubt there will still be generic questions but there'll be a nice
"open" bias ;-))

In terms of subject matter I agree re current bias re US and US gov
data ;-) but i think that may be just an artefact of the initial round
of question suggestion (and participants) and believe it is supposed
to be all "open data".

Rufus