[okfn-labs] Commons Technology Summit - Draft ideas

Jonas Öberg jonas at shuttleworthfoundation.org
Wed Aug 14 08:09:42 UTC 2013

Hi all,

some of you are receiving this similar message twice -- apologies. But I
just wanted to highlight that work is continuing on the previously
discussed Commons Technology Summit (now dubbed the Infrastructure 4 Open
mini-summit). You can see the current planning and contribute to it on
http://okfnpad.org/ctechsummit

Important changes:
 - The location has been set to London, with an offer to use the Google
offices at 1-13 St Giles High St (pending final confirmation once a date is
set). A date is not set, and if you have a continued interest, I would
invite you to indicate your preference on the following Doodle poll:
http://doodle.com/i3q6h6chbgcsb452
 - We've narrowed down the scope of the summit to "discuss the
infrastructures needed to enable massive re-use of open works with a focus
on what needs to be done to automate and simplify the processes of re-use."

We currently have four proposed sessions that fit within this scope:

- Open standards for open data
- Metadata and content registries (broadly, incl CKAN, etc)
- Attribution and license metadata
- Automated tools to facilitate the reuse of openly licensed materials

Each of the four sessions have a proposed host, three of which have
provisionally confirmed. The style is likely to be design challenges: the
host of each session present the current thinking within an area and leads
the participants in collectively finding the answers to some of the
problems faced, sometimes to the point of designing user interfaces and
architectures. It will be highly interactive.

Sincerely,
Jonas