[okfn-labs] Next generation data catalogues.

Ross Jones ross at servercode.co.uk
Mon Aug 26 14:45:02 UTC 2013

Hi,

There was a bit of discussion on the #ckan channel this morning between some developers
building data catalogs around what a next-generation data catalog would look like.  It was
noted that it might _not_ look like CKAN, and so we booted up the catalog-ng organisation
on github (https://github.com/catalog-ng) as a place to work on some ideas and proof-of-concepts
around what we think would be included in a new data catalog using the knowledge gained
working with CKAN.

There really isn't a plan yet, certainly the intention isn't to damage CKAN in any way, but more
of a way to experiment with building catalogs without any of the baggage involved with a
mature product - what would you build today with the new tech available and the experience
of working with CKAN.  Rather than go through the process of doing this outside, I thought it might
be useful to do this as part of labs and keep it inside OKF, and possibly keep it on a OKF mailing list.

Does this belong in OKFN-labs? Does the idea of building something new in that area sound
vaguely interesting to anyone (other than those of us with work with CKAN day-to-day)?

Ross.