[okfn-labs] Open Data Maker Night

Andy Lulham a.lulham at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 17:06:13 UTC 2013

Hi Olaf,

I went along to my first open data maker night on Tuesday – it was
ace! Just to give an idea of how it worked on the night (from a
punter’s perspective):

 * arrive and mingle
 * general intro to the night from Rufus. This included getting
everyone online with wireless password, getting everyone into the
shared google doc via a custom bitly link. *5-10 mins*.
 * brief spoken intros from everyone attending – name, interests,
special skills. *Max 30 seconds each*. Each person also adds this info
to the google doc.
 * pitches from attendees who had specific project ideas, or discrete
bits of work that could be done on the night. *3-5 mins each*. Brief
info on each also added to the google doc.

 * self-organise to discuss, get coding etc
 * eat some pizza / drink some fizzy pop / have a chat
 * continue coding, then very informally (like, as groups decide they
are ready) get on the projector and present what’s been achieved!

My own experience, I mostly discussed project ideas with people
(really useful), but got to help one guy set up a node.js project
locally, and together we submitted a pull request closing an issue, so
that felt like some progress. Other people got loads more done – felt
like an evening well-spent!

Hope that’s helpful,
Andy
--