[okfn-labs] [open-science] Mapping antimatter with CrowdCrafting.org

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 14:28:00 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 2:38 AM, Daniel Lombraña González <
teleyinex at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> We are using Kinetic.JS and in principle it should handle that correctly,
> as we are using the Animation constructor<http://kineticjs.com/docs/Kinetic.Animation.html>,
> that does that precisely (or at least, it should be like that as the images
> are loaded in an HTML5 canvas). Interestingly, this works really well on
> Firefox (no flickering at all) but not in Chrome (sometimes it works, and
> we don't know why).

Did you try preloading the images into multiple image objects instead of
changing the src url of a single image object? Scaling the images server
side instead of in the browser? Asking the KineticJS folks for advice?

Even something as simple as displaying the animation on a black background
instead of a bright white background would greatly reduce the
headache/epilepsy inducing strobing (ie use black for the canvas background
color instead of transparent).

> We will probably remove the movie UI in any case, as we might want to give
> more control to the users for analyzing the tracks (see discussion at
> Google Groups<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/cern-antimatter-crowdcrafting>
> ).

I agree that scrubbing controls are desirable from a UI point of view, but
you're probably still going to want some type of movie mode, particularly
when users are drawing/adjusting the endpoints of the tracks.  If you
render the lines/endpoints in a fashion that doesn't obscure the image
(open circles for endpoints, dotted/dashed lines), it'll make it easier for
users to see how accurately their line matches the track.

 Tom