[okfn-labs] [open-humanities] Best practice for OCR workflows (re OED 1st edition project)

dan o'huiginn ohuiginn at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 13:57:01 UTC 2013

"It would be really cool if there were any way to break the dictionary down
into entries that people could help to proofread and correct. Any thoughts
on that front?"

The good thing about dictionary entries is that they are all in order. So
headwords are words that appear at the start of a column, and which share
their first few letters with many other words on the page. If we can also
detect the larger/bolder text, so much the better.

So I'd suggest we:
 - guess headwords present on each page, as above
 - provisionally break up the OCR'd text, based on what is between two
headwords (may break, depending on how well the OCR has handled columns)
 - make an approximate selection of the boundaries of text for an entry

Then we will have an approximate list of all the headwords in the OED, with
page number and location on the page.

We should then be able to present a page for each word, containing:
 - an image of the page, centred on the correct headword. The user should
be able to move and redraw the boundaries if we got that wrong.
 - OCR'd text, with the possibility to correct it

At this point we would have a useful-but-cumbersome system -- it would
already be one of the most comprehensive free dictionaries online.

Incidentally, let me say I'm very excited about this project. I've been
idly poking at the OED for years, but never had enough time/commitment to
produce anything usable out of it. But with a little momentum, I believe
this project could get a long way quite quickly.

Dan