[okfn-labs] Version Control for Data

Ross Jones ross at servercode.co.uk
Wed Aug 28 16:33:07 UTC 2013

Hi Marianne,

I'm very interested in how commits are presented for different formats, as you mentioned the cool blog posts on okfnlabs recently show how it can be done with CSV.   I have a question about the granularity of the diffs for json, in particular the one shown in the image you included in the blog post at https://exversion.com/img/versc5.png

Does all json data diff like that, or am I missing an understanding of what this JSON is (it's data right, not metadata)?

I'm wondering whether there might be a better representation for showing diffs in JSON files, but with the common data in the example shown I wonder if there is a way of showing changes to specifically within objects and lists.   Is the current 'show everything as changed' intentional or just a flaw of the diff algorithm?

Am I right in thinking exversion isn't open source?  I couldn't find a repo (with admittedly a rather short search).

Ross