[okfn-labs] scrapping PDF files

Enric Garcia Torrents enricgarcia at uoc.edu
Fri Dec 6 04:20:57 UTC 2013

You can also use bash (Unix shell) script, if using Linux / OS-X:

for file in *.pdf ; do pdftotext -layout "$file" ; done

Enric G. Torrents
Email: e.g.cn at ieee.org
Tel.: +8613122141470
Skype: torrents.enric
cn.linkedin.com/in/enrictorrents/

--- Missatge original de Thomas Levine per a Seth Woodworth ,Tarek Amr amb còpia a okfn-labs enviat el 06.12.2013 04:43

Here's how I do it.
http://thomaslevine.com/!/parsing-pdfs

It's in shell, but you could call the shell bits from Python with os.system.

The PDF parsing in scraperwiki-python is just Python wrappers for pdftotext and pdftohtml.

Seth Woodworth wrote: If you're just looking to get a text dump of the PDF. I've had good results with uploading the document to google drive, and then downloading the .txt version.  Google Drive will also OCR embedded images in documents and some other nifty stuff.  It's not great, but it's usually good enough to use as a search index of PDFs. http://github.com/finalsclub/karmaworld contains the google drive code deep in it's depths.  I'd be happy to walk you through the hairy parts if you are interested.