[okfn-labs] Questions on data scraping tables within "picture" pdfs.

Hans Thompson hans.thompson1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 01:20:42 UTC 2013

Thanks Everyone!

I realize now I could have been more specific about my specifications.
Sorry about that.  The documents I am trying to covert are not forms with
standard formatting on each page or tables with lines already between
rows/columns.

I'll try using the RMagick script when I get the install working (thanks
Marian) to split the tables up by lines I draw.  What do people think would
be the best way to draw these lines quickly for many tables without a
standard size or placement on a page?

I'd also like to use the PyBossa API (thanks Michael) further but I haven't
seen any tasks that would involve clicking on the image to return the pixel
coordinates within the image.  Do people think that that kind of task would
be easily incorporated into the current PyBossa?

I will also take a look at HTML5 (thanks Stefan) cause this seems coolest
but my own limited knowledge is going to hold me back here.

The documents I have in mind for this project is the Comprehensive Annual
Finance Report (CAFR) for US cities.  The content of the tables is
standardized by the Govermental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and
follow Generally Accepted Accounting Principals (GAAP) so comparison of
accounts by city or year are possible.  Each city publishes their CAFR
independently though which necessitates a general tool to break apart
tables without Computer Vision for recognizing tables.  I'd like to use a
series of microtasks with some quality control. OCR of the final cells
seems smart.

I'll try out RMagick first.

Also thanks Tom for showing me Captricity.  I'll send in a complex example
and see how well they do!

Hans Thompson