[okfn-labs] Crowdcrafting + reference lists = crowdsource lists of stuff?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Thu Feb 21 15:26:36 UTC 2013

Agreed that canonical reference data should be authoritative rather than
opinion based. ;-)

I'm talking more about using standard reference lists (e.g. counties in the
world, cities or counties in the UK) to then generate new lists which may
not be 'reference data' per se - like 'Twitter account for every local
education authority' or 'URL of national contact point for multinational
corporation X'.

Generally this would be a way to get a piece (or several pieces) of data
for every item you had on a given list. A recent use case would be wanting
to get the Twitter accounts for a given list of climate change denial think
tanks [1].

What do you think? Useful/not useful? Perhaps Google Docs is the easiest
and best way to do this for now?

J.

[1] See:
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/school-of-data/2013-February/000168.html