[okfn-labs] Crowdcrafting + reference lists = crowdsource lists of stuff?

Emanuil Tolev emanuil at cottagelabs.com
Fri Feb 22 08:57:41 UTC 2013

Hmm, an intriguing topic.

Situations can vary greatly, and therefore so can needs.

E.g.: I want to make a list of all organisations which are helping animals
in Bulgaria. Do I:
1/ search for a government-authored resource?
    -- probably going to be out-of-date, especially if it has any contact
info (it's correct at registration but there's no pressing reason why it
would've been updated as time progressed.. AFAIK)
    -- that is, if I can find anything at all

2/ use mechanical turk - heh, heh :). Nope. (Sorry, just my gut reaction.)
    -- can I target people by location in m. turk? (There's no point in
having US-based m. turks fishing in Google for whatever they can find in
English. I'm unlikely to get good suggestions for getting the information -
they have to move on to the next task, most don't care about my project.)

3/ use CrowdCrafting: I have to find volunteers (I have none atm since I
haven't started this project yet). True, but I'm also going to build
contacts and relationships with people interested in the subject matter.
(E.g. I could start by asking a few of those that I do know of to share a
nicely worded question + URL with those *they* know.)

4/ use a simple form on the web and share that instead of using
CrowdCrafting.
    -- it depends on how easy it would be to use CrowdCrafting.
    -- How quickly can I write a new app (reusing an example perhaps)?
    -- Can I do localisation (*some* of my target volunteers may only know
"button English" :) - "Like", "Add", "Delete" etc. but not much else.)
    -- same "benefits" of finding motivated people as in 3/
    -- maybe there is a level of complexity that has to be reached before
there's much point in CrowdCrafting the crowdsourcing. For a simple
catalogue like this: I could just a form with "Name", "Contact info
(facebook, phone, www, whatever)", "add field" and dump submissions into
e.g. elasticsearch to handle the semi-structured data.

Now, there is another characteristic that this particular problem has, and
that is that the gov't ain't gonna know about all animal help
organisations... because they're not all registered. My two personal
favourites atm are just "community"-type pages on Facebook with a public
google spreadsheet for budget, started/maintained just by .. some random
citizens :). Who don't feel the need to make an NGO.

I want these especially badly since they could use even more help and have
no administrative costs whatsoever (all donations literally go towards
w/ever case you're donating for - they volunteer their time and if they can
afford, petrol). So obviously crowdsourcing this is the way to go. I
realise that this is quite a specific example, yet that's the point - even
in the constrained world of "make a list of things", there are differences
:).

So for some lists, CrowdCrafting would be good, for some an authoritative
source would be necessary... the question for me is, how do I easily decide
which one it will be for each case.

Greetings,