[okfn-labs] Public bodies and organisation identifiers

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 15:52:39 UTC 2013

A few random comments:
- You probably want to make it a little harder to create a new entity than
just a single failed lookup
- If you have a Merge function, you're eventually going to need a Split to
undo the bad merges or the conflated organizations
- You might want to look at Freebase since it's got:
  - split, merge, delete flagging with community voting on the flags built
in
  - schema for non-profit organizations and government agencies with
successors, predecessors, alternate names, start/end dates, etc
    https://www.freebase.com/m/04gb4fx
    https://www.freebase.com/m/04gb4fx
  - an existing DB of 13K non-profits and 5K government agencies that can
be used as a starting point (most linked to Wikipedia, many linked to
CorpWatch/SEC IDs and other strong identifiers)
  - it's world writable and openly licensed
  - it's got a reconciliation service available as well as an autocomplete
widget for simple lookups

Tom