[okfn-labs] Units protocol

Andrew Berkeley andrew.berkeley.is at googlemail.com
Fri May 31 23:14:42 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I thought this would be a good place to flag up a tentative new data
protocol for describing physical units.

It is described here here:
http://www.dataprotocols.org/en/latest/units.html and was motivated by
this conversation with Rufus Pollock and James Smith
https://github.com/dataprotocols/dataprotocols/issues/35#issuecomment-18101347

Having a standard way to describe physical quantities (i.e. a number
with a unit) is a good thing, not least that it might encourage people
to systematically qualify their numbers with units and may also help to
disambiguate confusing units (e.g. ton, tonne).

Probably the greatest benefit in my eyes though is the ability to be
able to produce machine readable data which can be processed
irrespective of using a variety of units. A decent client library would
be able to convert/standardize such data and perform any required
operations if the units are described consistently and predictably. I've
tried to write such a thing for Ruby and have made a start on a similar
JS library.

Really, the 2 main points in the protocol are (1) a unique reference for
each supported unit, and (2) a standard way of describing compound units
(i.e. combinations of units).

Any comments on, suggestions or contributions to the suggested protocol
would be very welcome.

Cheers

Andrew
@spatchcockable