[okfn-labs] Code review exchange

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 14:07:27 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 8:00 AM, Dan <daniel at ohuiginn.net> wrote:

> That's a GREAT idea. You can add me to your list of willing reviewers. I
> know python & js well, though I have no knowledge (yet) of the
> openspending codebase.
>
> From the perspective of a reviewer, what I would need to know is:
>  - what coding standards you have, or other expectations of the code
> (test coverage? comments? namespace management?)
>  - what is the practical workflow for review? [add comments to github
> pull requests?]
>  - how do I signal when I do/don't have time to contribute? [maybe this
> works if it's just "review a pull request when you have time"]
>
> Perhaps a (very short) "how to be a reviewer" document would be useful.

The web site doesn't appear to have a link to Github, but the stuff to be
reviewed seems to be here:
https://github.com/openspending/openspending/pulls

I couldn't find any documentation of the process or standards in the wiki
or source tree.

Even simple things like standard terminology are helpful.  The first one I
looked at to get a feel for how things worked had a comment of "This is a
no-brainer." which is apparently a sign of approval because it got merged.
I'd suggest +1 or Google's LGTM or some other standard approval phrase
that's unambiguous.

In addition to Dan's (very good) questions, I'd add:

- What factors determine when a change is high enough risk to require
depolyment to the staging server?

Tom