[okfn-labs] Code review exchange

todd.d.robbins at gmail.com todd.d.robbins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 17:02:16 UTC 2013

Ah! Now I feel the fool, having looked around the site some more. 10 US
datasets! Sorry if I came across as xenocentric (nothing wrong if there was
a European focus)! Just subscribed to the list and I'll hit you up on IRC.

Also, I just found these data feeds from the US Federal Government:

http://www.usaspending.gov/data

Looks like we can add quite a bit, programmatically even!

Cheers!

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Tryggvi Björgvinsson <
tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org> wrote:

>  Hi Todd,
>

> On fös 7.jún 2013 15:03, todd.d.robbins at gmail.com wrote:
>
> Question: Is OpenSpending primarily European? I don't see much US data in
> there. If there hasn't been much of a contribution from Americans in that
> regard I can invest some time.
>

> No, OpenSpending is not primarily European. The reason there are more
> European datasets is probably because of the history of OpenSpending (it
> has its roots in British and German projects).
>
> Our goal is to track all government spending from around the world so if
> you want to contribute some data from the US that would be awesome! There
> is some data in OpenSpending from the US:
> http://openspending.org/datasets?territories=US but that's not nearly
> enough ;-)
>
> Here's a cool project I know of from the States that uses OpenSpending as
> a backend:
> http://openbudgetoakland.org/
>
> This is just one of many projects/sites that rely on OpenSpending which is
> why we are really firm about doing code reviews.
>
> I digress. It's awesome if you want to contribute data to OpenSpending. If
> you need any help just ask on the openspending mailing list:
> or our irc channel #openspending on Freenode. Thanks a lot!
>

> --
>
> Tryggvi Björgvinsson
>
> Technical Lead, OpenSpending
>
> The Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org>