[okfn-labs] Maker Nights

Adi Eyal adi at code4sa.org
Mon Nov 18 17:57:48 UTC 2013

Thanks.

So I've been holding a bunch of weekly Thursday night meet-ups, four
so far. I call them unhackathons though Rufus introduced me to Maker
Nights (which is a cool name) I might change it to that. Similar to
the Maker Nights, I've been trying to create a community of
practitioners who actually do stuff. Unfortunatelym I find it quite
difficult to get buy-in. We've had a few interesting meet-ups where
people have come and demonstrated work that they've or we discussed
various ideas around data, but it hasn't amounted to much. I'm not
quite sure how to transition to actual code writing. I've put together
a couple of projects, [1], [2] for people to contribute to. The latter
is an API on top of existing elections data which I thought would be
useful infrastructure for a family of interesting elections related
applications. I've also put together an ideas board to post ideas on
[3]. There just seems to be a hump that I'm struggling to overcome,
moving from talking to doing.

Community building is quite tough and I would appreciate any advice
this list has regarding how to make it happen.

[1] https://github.com/Code4SA/medicine-price-registry
[2] https://github.com/Code4SA/elections-api
[3] http://code4sa.hackdash.org/

Adi