[okfn-labs] Bad Data: real-world examples of how *not* to do data

Ivan Begtin ibegtin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 14:09:43 UTC 2013

Hi Rufus!

I have great example of official bad data from Russia.

List of regional offices of Ministry of Interior -
http://mvd.ru/opendata/od1 direct download -
http://mvd.ru/upload/site1/opendata/od1.xml

This XML file is MS Word XML (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_XML_formats) and it's not
even close to be good data. It's just XML formatted bad data but XML format
is not more machine-readable than common .DOC file.

We discovered at least two government bodies doing that for now.

Best Regards,
   Ivan

2013/11/22 Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>

> Hi All,
>
> I wanted to flag a new mini-project:
>
> http://okfnlabs.org/bad-data/
>
> The idea of "Bad Data" is to provide real-world examples of how *not* to
> publish data. It showcases the poorly structured, the mis-formatted, and
> the just plain ugly.
>
> This is less about being critical and more about educating - by providing
> examples of how not to do something we can help show how to do it right.
>
> Here are a couple of the examples already up there:
>
>    - A poorly structured CSV on tube usage from London Datastore<http://okfnlabs.org/bad-data/ex/tfl-passenger-numbers/>
>    - An ASCII spreadsheet (with merge cells!) from US Bureau of Labor
>    Statistics <http://okfnlabs.org/bad-data/ex/bls-us-employment/>
>
> *New examples are very welcome*, instructions on how to submit them here:
> http://okfnlabs.org/bad-data/add/
>
> Rufus

С уважением,
  Иван Бегтин

Директор НП "Информационная культура"
email: ibegtin at infoculture.ru
phone: +7 499 500 96 58, +7 910 426 68 83
website: http://infoculture.ru