[okfn-labs] Invitation to Tech4Open, 11 December, London, UK

Jonas Öberg jonas at shuttleworthfoundation.org
Tue Oct 29 08:55:19 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I've been mentioning an event before that we've planned to host in London
in December around metadata, and requested some feedback from the group
here. After a few iterations, I'm happy to present the final invitation:

Commons Machinery has the pleasure of inviting for a day of metadata on the
11th of December 2013 in London.

*Technology 4 Open*
*

*
Google London
123 Buckingham Palace Road
London

*http://tech4open.org/*

The Technology 4 Open summit is a one day event focusing on the technical
infrastructure needed to enable massive re-use of open works. The goal of
the summit is to advance the thinking in the area of metadata for digital
works, including metadata for licenses, attribution and other contextual
information about works.

Topics that will be discussed include the location of metadata in relation
to a work; as RDFa, embedded in the work, in content/metadata registries,
or a combination thereof, and how to enable discoverability of metadata
based on works distributed online. On the table for discussion will also be
recent developments done by Commons Machinery in enabling cut-n-paste of
works between web sites (or between web sites and external applications) in
a way that retains RDFa metadata associated with the work, as well as steps
needed to be taken to establish and maintain metadata standards that
support the user in licensing and attributing works.

Your hosts for the day will include Jonas Öberg (Shuttleworth Foundation
Fellow), Andreas Gebhard (editorial director at Getty Images) and Peter
Liljenberg (lead developer at Commons Machinery) with assistance from Leena
Simon for documentation.

While we don't charge for participation, we do ask that you register
beforehand. We have a limited number of spaces available, and we want to
make sure that everyone can find a place. The summit is supported by Google
London and the Shuttleworth Foundation.

We look forward to welcoming you to London in December!

Sincerely

Jonas Öberg
Commons Machinery