[okfn-labs] making open data consumable

nilanjan bhattacharya nilanjanb at live.com
Tue Apr 15 13:32:38 UTC 2014

I don't follow this group closely, however I am interested in the idea of open data.

 think open data should move beyond excel/pdf/spreadsheets.  I think
technology (visualization/analytics) has progressed a lot in the last
few years.  To take advantage of the technology, the data should be
represented in a digitally consumable form.  I think you can convert
excel/pdf to json with little effort (some effort is required).  The
returns on that are many fold.

I wrote a blog post on how I converted the Singapore 2014 budget to JSON  files - http://revelutions.com/?p=461

If you'd like to see how the data is used take a look at another blog post http://revelutions.com/?p=454
 In this post I have created a visualization using the data.  Note this
works better on a laptop/desktop, since I have tooltips which show the
values.

(The key concept in converting to JSON is preserving the
 heirarchy in the data.  See this sample :
http://revelutions.com/budgets/moh.json - I think people on the okfn labs don't need to be told this).

- Nilanjan