[okfn-labs] ONS Tabular Data Package

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Aug 18 10:24:17 UTC 2014

Hi All,

The UK's Office of National Statistics (ONS) have been experiment a bit
recently with using Tabular Data Package (in cc are Darren Barnes their
Open Datasets Manager and his colleague Sam Machin).

They've just produced a first trial demonstration using already released
National Well-being data. They've released the Data Package here on GitHub:

 http://onsdigital.github.io/opendatasets

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions they would love get thoughts and
feedback improvements.

For my part I think this looks really good - it works nicely in the Data
Package viewer
<http://data.okfn.org/tools/view?url=https%3A%2F%2Fraw.githubusercontent.com%2FONSdigital%2Fopendatasets%2Fmaster%2Fdata%2Fwellbeing%2Fdatapackage.json>.
Some minor thoughts:

   - It may be worth storing one Data Package per github repo (rather than
   multiple Data Packages in one github repo). This makes changes and
   provenance easier to track and also works better with tooling (e.g. you can
   just paste the github repo url into tools - see Data Package Spec details
   <http://github.com/okfn/datapackage-spec>)
   - Could be worth adding something to the "description" field for each
   column where clarifications or details are needed

Regards,

Rufus