[okfn-labs] Making it easier for people to figure out what's going on in OKFN

Thomas Levine _ at thomaslevine.com
Tue Feb 4 15:01:22 UTC 2014

I had been complaining about how hard it is to figure
out what is going on in OKFN. Then Rufus explained to
me that OKFN is sort of loosely conected, with people
working on whatever they feel like. This is in contrast
to a company where projects are assigned to people and
people theoretically finish them. I'd already sort of
realized this, but the means for finding out about
projects made a bit more sense to me once he told me.

I say we should think of OKFN as a forum for
communication more than anything else.

The text on the home page gets pretty close to this.

> We are a global movement to open up knowledge
> around the world and see it used and useful.

But the concept of an OKFN project makes OKFN seem
very centralized. What if we just say that these are
projects around opening knowledge that the creators
have told us about and we think are important.
We could think of OKFN projects as an ultra hip
journal about the opening of knowedge.