[okfn-labs] what we are working on...

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Thu Feb 13 10:04:35 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 01:57:26AM -0800, Friedrich Lindenberg wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014, at 01:45 AM, stef wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 05:19:03PM +0100, Friedrich Lindenberg wrote:
> > > For the combination of technologies that you’re using (Neo/Django), I’d also consider having a look at detective.io, it’s Journalism++ brain child - an open source platform aimed at journalists with no data modelling skills.
> >
> > dumbing down tools instead of smartening up the users seems like a step
> > backward. but then it creates opportunities for the elite jurnos to
> > separate
> > from the bottom feeders. ;)
> >
> > enablement is not through tools that paternalize, but through
> > understanding,
> > knowledge.
>
> Nicely trolled ;)

i guess you laid a trap and i happily jumped right in the middle ;)

> I think journalists should become more courageous in acquiring
> tech skills (like SQL SELECT, it's the killer tool of journalism), but
> that doesn't make a good reason for shit usability.

i totally agree. sql select should be on the curriculum of all jurnos, even
the old ones.

> In this specific case, what J++ are trying to do is make a WYSIWYG
> editor for OWL. I'm not sure they needed OWL in the first place, but if
> you're going to use it, please hide it. Otherwise, any user will first
> have to understand XML, RDF, OWL itself and subscribe to some fairly
> whacky philosophical ideas. It's as close to human rights abuse as you
> can get on a flat-file basis.

totally. so maybe this tool is not something that should be widely used as a
positive example?

--
pgp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/stef.gpg
pgp fp: FD52 DABD 5224 7F9C 63C6  3C12 FC97 D29F CA05 57EF