[okfn-labs] i18n/L10n and civic tech projects

Sebastian Haselbeck sebastian at lingohub.com
Thu Jul 31 09:22:47 UTC 2014

Hi everyone

thanks @pudo for the help pointing me to the list.

It's almost a mantra that in software development, i18n/l10n processes are
a pain in the ass, or a necessary evil - in general it's not the favorite
thing for most coders to put it simply.

Now, before you look at my signature and suspect I wanna sell something: I
work at lingohub.com - but even though we don't advertise it loudly, it's *free
to use for public/open source projects*.

Having said that, what brings me here and what I would love to know is if
we're as good at relieving the "pain in the ass" aspect as we think we are,
how comfortably Lingohub might work out for you in your projects, and
generally I'd just like to get some feedback. At least now you know it
exists, a really good one among localization management tools, have a look
:)

However I also work in the Berlin *opengov* scene, and the other thing that
would interest me is how big the need for translations is in civic tech
projects, what your experiences are, if there are certain requirements by
governments sometimes, etc. - one project I am aware of is active in local
community engagement in California, and as such, offering Vietnamese and
Spanish in addition to English as an interface language is a short-medium
term goal....

Many many thanks in advance, I appreciate any kind of feedback!

Best,
Sebastian

--
Sebastian Haselbeck, Lingohub <http://www.lingohub.com> & LingoIO
<http://lingo.io/blog>
*Business Development Manager* - sebastian at lingohub.com
“Go global, be local” - follow us on Twitter
<http://www.twitter.com/lingohub>, Google+
<https://plus.google.com/102352102579171996153>, Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/lingohub> & our blog <http://blog.lingohub.com>

lingohub GmbH, Hafenstraße 47-51, 4020 Linz, Austria
Helmut Juskewycz (CEO), Markus Merzinger (CTO)
Commercial Register/ Firmenbuch: 384721 t
VAT/UID: ATU67427457
Court of Jurisdiction: Landgericht Linz