[okfn-labs] Github CSV Editor

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jun 13 14:26:06 UTC 2014

Hi All,

We have a working Github CSV editor, built as part of the Data Explorer
(aka DataDeck):

http://explorer.okfnlabs.org/

Example (screenshot below):

http://explorer.okfnlabs.org/#datasets/transformer-test/edit/master/data/data.csv

Note: you probably won't be able to save your edits on this CSV (as you
won't have write permissions on the underlying repo) - but if you try with
your own CSVs (and are logged in) it should work fine.

To load your own CSV just click "Edit an Existing Github CSV" on the start
page <http://explorer.okfnlabs.org/#start> and then paste the link to a CSV
file.

This is still fairly alpha and lots to be improved but there are some cool
features like ability to run mini-javascript scripts to process the CSV
(the same features we have in the main part of the Data Explorer app).
Please reports bugs in this issue
<https://github.com/okfn/dataexplorer/issues/155>

Lastly, we've added this feature into the DataDeck (aka DataExplorer) app
which originally focused on allowing you to upload / import data and then
wrangle it by hand or with scripting with the results stored into gists.
This is probably a bit confusing and we many to separate the "edit github
csv" from "create datadeck project" (which saves data to gists) part of the
DataDeck app going forward - feedback warmly welcomed.

Rufus

PS: people will, I hope, notice the intentional "look" homage to prose.io -
the first version of this app (named the Data Transformer then!) was built
on a hack afternoon with Michael Aufreiter (the original creator of prose)
back in 2012!

[image: datadeck-github-edit-june-2014]