[okfn-labs] Parliamentary Monitoring Software

Jen Bramley jen at mysociety.org
Fri May 23 08:04:00 UTC 2014

Hey Tarek,

You're right, TheyWorkForYou IS open source BUT we don't recommend trying
to use it mainly because it's got a lot of very UK specific elements which
would make it extremely time consuming to reuse elsewhere in the world.
That's one of the reasons we created Pombola, though we quickly realised
that a one size fits all site doesn't work for parliamentary monitoring so
equally, pombola would need a lot of work to make sure the site is relevant
in your context. Adi I'm sure already knows this having seen some of the
work we've done with PMG on the http://pa.org.za/ site.

Poplus <http://poplus.org> is just starting out but is trying to fill in
the gaps, allowing people to pick and choose the things they need for their
country (read: really is just starting right now, we have a few components
available and there are more proposed so it could be that not everything
people are looking for is available right now. Hopefully this will change
over the years as the network matures).

Adi, I understand your concerns that only PopIt would be useful currently,
perhaps you could link data from an instance into a wider site you're
creating using the API. That's part of what the idea of Poplus is about.
Something that makes the process or part of the process of creating a
parliamentary monitoring website easier. Also, it would be good to get an
idea of what you're trying to present; do you want people to be able to
deliberate and make collective decisions (if so
Loomio<https://www.loomio.org/>or
DemocracyOS <http://democracyos.org/> might work for you), do you want
people to be able to write to politicians (If so we're hoping
WriteIt<http://writeit.ciudadanointeligente.org/en/>will be deployable
pretty soon) or could it be something around input on
bills or constitutions (if so then Tarik NeshNash from SimSim Morocco has
worked on some really interesting projects around collaborative
constitution drafting).

All the best

Jen

--
Jen Bramley
*International Project Development Manager*

If you have set up Alaveteli or FixMyStreet please fill in our surveys!
FixMyStreet Survey<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10PnEmAgX9d3ZayB2O9xGKNbGaBWaPK9ioSs-rz4-SgM/viewform>
 and Alaveteli Survey<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1INYP6NUOukNWXhzHDWCGlxySE0_LibMaa1zqma_kuRc/viewform>