[okfn-labs] OCR API?

Christian Ledermann christian.ledermann at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 11:06:28 UTC 2014

maybe scavenge some code from

https://plone.org/products/pdftoocr
or
https://www.nathanvangheem.com/news/using-plone-as-a-document-repository

sorry I am short - sprinting

On 31 October 2014 14:40, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> I've booted this idea issue for us to track stuff:
>
> https://github.com/okfn/ideas/issues/88
>
> (As this idea is a bit different from the PDF to text I linked earlier).
> Please dump any links or thoughts in there as well as on list :-)
>
> Rufus
>
> On 31 October 2014 14:22, Friedrich Lindenberg
> <friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:
>>
>> Especially their online service, ocrsdk.com ist very good - we tried it
>> out with yanukovichleaks for Russian and Ukrainian docs, but they wouldn't
>> give us any free queries :) Still, I think we need to have a better open
>> source stack, for all of those projects where you don't really want to send
>> all of your documents to three dozen untrusted services.
>>
>> - Friedrich
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Ivan Begtin <ibegtin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Matthew.
>>>
>>> Do-it-yourself OCR is great idea, just it's not so simple for languages
>>> other than English. I don't know any free OCR engine or service for Russian
>>> language.
>>>
>>> A few times we partnered with Russian OCR company - Abbyy and they
>>> provided as free access to online OCR API - http://www.abbyyonline.com
>>>
>>> I could ask them to provide free access to their OCR service. I can't
>>> promise that they will do it, but chance is much more than 50%.
>>>

>>> Best Regards,
>>>    Ivan Begtin

>>> --
>>> Best Regards,
>>>    Ivan Begtin
>>>
>>> Director of NGO "Informational Culture"
>>> email: ibegtin at infoculture.ru
>>> phone: +7 499 500 96 58, +7 910 426 68 83
>>> website: http://infoculture.ru

> Rufus Pollock
>
> Founder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock
>
> Open Knowledge - see how data can change the world
>
> http://okfn.org/ | @okfn | Open Knowledge on Facebook |  Blog
>
> The Open Knowledge Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.  It is
> incorporated in England & Wales as a company limited by guarantee, with
> company number 05133759.  VAT Registration № GB 984404989. Registered office
> address: Open Knowledge Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre, Cowley
> Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK.

Best Regards,

Christian Ledermann

London - UK
Mobile : +44 7474997517

<*)))>{

If you save the living environment, the biodiversity that we have left,
you will also automatically save the physical environment, too. But If
you only save the physical environment, you will ultimately lose both.

1) Don’t drive species to extinction

2) Don’t destroy a habitat that species rely on.

3) Don’t change the climate in ways that will result in the above.

}<(((*>