[okfn-labs] OpenSpending Architectural Roadmap

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 20:24:47 UTC 2015

I was looking at the new roadmap that was announced yesterday (but
apparently written 2 years ago and "accepted" by ___? in February).  It's
hard to argue against more modular with smaller components and less
coupling, but I'm not sure I understand the relationship between
openspending.org and data.okfn.org.  Is the big "DataStore" box in the
middle of the architecture diagram actually a data.okfn.org service?  Is
http://data.okfn.org/data/openspending/gov-spending-gb-central just a bulk
download of the data behind openspending.org?

Since any data slicing, aggregation, filtering, etc API is going to be 99%
the same across different data sets, I can't see creating a specific API
just for spending data.

My mental model is that this would work like an open data / open source
version of DataMarket (apparently acquired a few months back) with:

a dataset catalog - https://datamarket.com/data/
an API which works with any data set - https://datamarket.com/api/v1/

Is that how the new architecture is intended to work?  If not, are there
disadvantages to reusing the API and data storage infrastructure for all
data sets?

Tom