[okfn-labs] Question regarding data package distribution

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Apr 1 12:51:12 UTC 2015

On 31 March 2015 at 19:09, Rodrigo Parra <rodpar07 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> First of all, as this is my first email to the list, let me introduce
> myself. My name is Rodrigo Parra, I am a developer working as a part of the
> Open Data initiative in Paraguay.

Great to hear from you.

> As a part of my job, I am interested in publishing some government
> datasets in the tabular data package format. If I understand correctly, in
> its simplest form, this means a CSV file + a datapackage.json (JSON Table
> Schema) file.

That's exactly right. The simplest, quickest introduction is at the home of
Labs' Frictionless Data project: http://data.okfn.org/publish

> I want to be able to share datapackages with a single URL. My question is:
> is there a recommended/spec compliant way to do this? I was thinking about
> implementing one of the following:

What exactly do you mean by share? Basically, the idea is you can publish
data packages online anywhere you can upload files - or you can get them
via an API if you configure it right. In addition, CKAN and various other
tools have built in support Data Packages and we also have the Data Package
registry at http://data.okfn.org/data/ (this is in progress)

>    - Single URL pointing to github repository.
>
> That's possible. As per the Data Package identifier spec github urls count
as identifiers:

http://dataprotocols.org/data-package-identifier/

>    - Single URL pointing to zipped file.
>
> Generally I would discourage zipped file approach as it creates another
step but it can be convenient.

>    - Single URL pointing to a public directory containing both files.
>
> That's the simplest option and quite nice.

> What would you suggest? Or is my question out of the scope of the spec?

No, this is definitely a nice question and we could be adding info to
http://data.okfn.org/doc/publish-online

> Any answer as well as any tip regarding data package implementation
> (already found JTSKit and I'm loving it) would be very appreciated.

That's great to hear. By the way, whilst the list is great we are
increasingly preferring the forum for discussions like this as it provides
a better way to archive and contribute to threads like this:

http://discuss.okfn.org/category/open-knowledge-labs/data-packages

All the best,

Rufus Pollock

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock