[okfn-labs] Open Knowledge Labs Badges

Daniel Fowler me at danfowler.net
Mon Jan 26 12:09:44 UTC 2015

Hey Tod,

It would be great to get your opinion on what kinds of Labs contributions (blog post, project lead, pull request, etc.) should merit badges, what the new badges should look like, and whether there might be an even better way to recognize member contributions.  If you’re comfortable with GitHub, you can post your thoughts here: https://github.com/okfn/okfn.github.com/issues/278 <https://github.com/okfn/okfn.github.com/issues/278>.

Cheers,

Dan

> On Jan 22, 2015, at 12:54 AM, todd.d.robbins at gmail.com wrote:
>
> What additional kind of help is needed? I'd love to pitch in.
>
> –Tod
>
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 11:23 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org <mailto:rufus.pollock at okfn.org>> wrote:
> Just wanted to acknowledge work by Dan (and Mike Chelen) here to add this feature in and generally moving this forward!
>

> On 20 January 2015 at 11:16, Daniel Fowler <me at danfowler.net <mailto:me at danfowler.net>> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There have been various conversations recently around issuing badges as recognition for Labs members’ roles and achievements.  Now before you say, "badges? we don't need no stinkin' badges!" [1], you should know that a few of us have already rigged up a simple system that displays badges on members' pages based on Jekyll member attributes (example: http://okfnlabs.org/members/rgrp/ <http://okfnlabs.org/members/rgrp/> ).  Badges (essentially, Font Awesome 3.2.1 icons superimposed on a badge-shaped png) we’re currently issuing are listed here: http://okfnlabs.org/join/#get-recognized <http://okfnlabs.org/join/#get-recognized> .  We're looking for ideas for other types of roles and achievements we should recognize with a pretty badge.  Check out these GitHub issues for more info:
>
> https://github.com/okfn/okfn.github.com/issues/278 <https://github.com/okfn/okfn.github.com/issues/278> - new roles and achievements
>
> Also to help discussion, here are examples of possible new roles and achievements:
>
> Roles:
>
> Project Contributor - contribute to one or more of the Labs projects (i.e. on projects page)
> Project Lead - atm i don't think we distinguish from contributor
> Achievement
>
> Website fix - you have submitted at least one pull request to improve the website
> (Made a) post to forum or mailing list [in some specified time period]
> Regards,
>
> Rufus

> Tod Robbins
> Digital Asset Manager, MLIS