[okfn-labs] opening up what3words

trio trio at esperanto.org
Thu May 14 22:55:23 UTC 2015

Salutojn!

   I'm replying to 2 lists. I'm not sure i'm on the open-development
list though.

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 11:41 AM, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 08:01:43PM +0200, Friedrich Lindenberg wrote:
>> ## Who can help come up with a word-based geospatial grid system?

   I just ran into this myself about a week ago. I had a very similar
reaction. Who are they? Why don't they list the words used? Why should
they be allowed to monopolize on this simple extension to already
existing systems? I'm really happy that they are open to multiple
languages - but i don't see Esperanto on their list. I don't see why
this can't be generalized to personal lists, although i see the value
for a standard list that anyone can use in a lookup table.

> you know about the maidenhead grid system?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maidenhead_Locator_System
>
> all we need is a mapping to n-words. also this system is cool because it
> allows various levels of privacy.

   Thank you for that link to the Maidenhead idea. I had never heard
of it. Yes, it looks like a simple mapping might be good enough.
Perhaps that's what the what3words folk did in the first place?

   I'd be interested in helping to implement this... but not until The
Fall... I'm already over-committed right now.

--
universero trio
Esperanto, The International Language! What's that? See http://Esperanto.Org