[okfn-labs] Data Package Profiles and/or Microschemas

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon May 11 09:21:54 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I wanted to flag a recent Data Protocols proposal for "Data Package
Profiles / Microschemas" -
https://github.com/dataprotocols/dataprotocols/issues/183

<quote>

Idea: allow people to start registering simple little schemas for their
data (esp tabular data). This would be in the form of a JSON Table Schema.
For example, we have Budget Data Package for public finances, we could have
a simple schema for crime reports or restaurant inspections.

Notes:

   - Basically these would be profiles - see #87
   <https://github.com/dataprotocols/dataprotocols/issues/87> . So maybe we
   want to standardized name for this (either profile or schema but not both).
   On the other hand maybe useful to distinguish e.g. Tabular Data Package as
   a profile from a microschema which actually specifies what fields should be
   present in a given dataset.
   - We could / should have one page for each profile / microschema on
   dataprotocols.org at dataprotocols.org/microschemas/
   - Suggest a strong focus on Tabular data to start with - i.e. schemas
   (required columns) for tabular data
   - Proposals could be classified at:
      - Draft: just an idea
      - Alpha: trialling publishing with at least 2 users
      - Beta: in use with at least 2 users and trialling with more
      - Accepted: multiple (5+) users (publishers)

</quote>

I'm interested in people's thoughts, prior art etc.

Regards,

Rufus