[okfn-labs] Data Package Profiles and/or Microschemas
rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon May 11 09:21:54 UTC 2015
I wanted to flag a recent Data Protocols proposal for "Data Package
Profiles / Microschemas" -
Idea: allow people to start registering simple little schemas for their
data (esp tabular data). This would be in the form of a JSON Table Schema.
For example, we have Budget Data Package for public finances, we could have
a simple schema for crime reports or restaurant inspections.
- Basically these would be profiles - see #87
<https://github.com/dataprotocols/dataprotocols/issues/87> . So maybe we
want to standardized name for this (either profile or schema but not both).
On the other hand maybe useful to distinguish e.g. Tabular Data Package as
a profile from a microschema which actually specifies what fields should be
present in a given dataset.
- We could / should have one page for each profile / microschema on
dataprotocols.org at dataprotocols.org/microschemas/
- Suggest a strong focus on Tabular data to start with - i.e. schemas
(required columns) for tabular data
- Proposals could be classified at:
- Draft: just an idea
- Alpha: trialling publishing with at least 2 users
- Beta: in use with at least 2 users and trialling with more
- Accepted: multiple (5+) users (publishers)
I'm interested in people's thoughts, prior art etc.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the okfn-labs