[okfn-labs] opening up what3words

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Mon May 18 09:04:20 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 09:23:26AM +0100, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> Just wanted to +1 this - I almost feel these points (generalized) could be
> a useful post and warning to ourselves about "techie cockiness" (and
> forgetting users).

to me this rather sounds like: hey all these starving people, lets open a
fishery here and sell them fish, instead of going the much less profitable way
and teach them.

so we opt for ignorance, and practice it ourselves.

as a counter argument: people are able to handle phone numbers, bank accounts,
and other long numbered stuff (ssns).

> On 17 May 2015 at 13:27, Friedrich Lindenberg <friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
> > wrote:
> > their new address, and they can write it on a box and ship it. If you're in
> > a city in Ghana (which, I understand, has flaky street naming), the 750m
> > resolution of Maidenhead just won't cut it.

just to repeat and dispell misinformation/ignorance: maidenhead has an
infinite resolution, depending on how many digits you release, the example i
gave has actually a 25x25m resolution.  here's my stab at the OKFN office QTH
locator: JO02BF86ML

--
otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt