[okfn-labs] opening up what3words

willi uebelherr willi.uebelherr at gmail.com
Mon May 18 23:13:30 UTC 2015

Dear Eoin,

thank you for this information. But i don't understand, why they make
this big theater with secret?

What is Eircode?
http://www.eircode.ie/what-is-eircode

Routing Key
The first three characters of each Eircode, called the “Routing Key”,
are designed to benefit the parcel/postal industry. It is not directly
linked to counties, towns, or geographic features.

Unique Identifier
The second part of the Eircode, called the “Unique Identifier,” is
comprised of four characters drawn from a carefully selected set of
letters and numbers that identify each individual address.

About Us
In late 2013, the Department of Communications, Energy & Natural
Resources awarded the “Postcode Management License Holder” (PMLH)
contract to Capita Business Support Services Ireland. The PMLH contract
will operate under the trading name Eircode. Our company is based in
Maynooth, Co. Kildare with some initial start-up work based in Dublin
City Centre.

If you would like to find out more about Capita Ireland, please visit
our corporate site at www.capita.ie

---

I ask you? How it works? For what is the routing key? How they define
the house/appartment key?

No, we need an open method with an open algorithm. And remember, we are
here in the okfn-labs maillist. And okfn is "open knowledge foundation".
Is that truth? We don't need any company with their private interests.
We can do it self.

many greetings, willi
Cordoba, Argentina