[okfn-labs] Next Labs Hangout 21 April and other updates

Daniel Fowler daniel.fowler at okfn.org
Wed Apr 6 15:01:05 UTC 2016

Hello Labs :)

Here’s a brief update on some recent Labs activity.

-Hangouts-

Our monthly Labs hangouts are back on a proper schedule: the third Thursday of every month.  This means the next one will be Thursday, 21 April 2016 at 17:00 GMT.  I’ll update the list when we’re closer to the date, but if you think you’ll join, leave a comment on the forum topic [1].

-Recent posts on the Labs blog-

We’re making a major push on Frictionless Data, and I recently posted about some new tooling for working with Data Packages in Python being developed by some of our developers here at Open Knowledge International [2].  Labs member Alexandre Bonnasseau also posted about Tuttle, a “make” for data [3].  If you have something you’d like to share with the Labs community, please let us know [4].

-Testing out a new chat space-

We’ve had some discussion on the forum [5] about a new chat space for Labs.  While the current IRC channel for Labs remains, it’s a bit unused at the moment.  As a result, we’re currently testing out a new chat space for Labs on Gitter.im [6], a chat platform integrated with GitHub.  This is a trial, and we will see how it works out for our community over the next two months.  We’re also trying this out for technical discussions related to our other major Open Knowledge International projects [7,8,9].  Stop by, say “hi”, and let us know what you think.

There’s a lot more to come, but for now, thanks for reading :).

Dan

1. https://discuss.okfn.org/t/labs-hangout-april-2016/2287
2. http://okfnlabs.org/blog/2016/03/11/frictionless-data-transport-in-python.html
3. http://okfnlabs.org/blog/2016/03/25/make-vs-tuttle.html