[okfn-labs] Entity reconciliation services

Paul Walsh paulywalsh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 07:13:35 UTC 2016

Hi Tom,

> On 14 Jan 2016, at 7:29 PM, Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is it safe to assume that you've already reviewed:
>
> https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/wiki/Reconciliation-Service-Api <https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/wiki/Reconciliation-Service-Api>

Yes.

> https://developers.google.com/freebase/v1/reconciliation-overview?hl=en <https://developers.google.com/freebase/v1/reconciliation-overview?hl=en>

Hasn’t this been replaced by the read-only Knowledge Graph API?

https://developers.google.com/knowledge-graph/

If not please let me know otherwise. But, it seems like it could be a good data source for the type of thing we are seeking, but not a candidate for the thing itself.

> The feature list is a bit terse to decipher without the context of the discussion that generated it.  Will the bullet points be expanded?  Is it a tool, a service, or both?

We can expand on it together, in this thread. The idea here is to get input from others who have more expertise in this area than some or all of us who started the discussion.

I’m not sure what distinguishes a tool and service here for you, but I’d say we are thinking in terms of Nomenklatura as a starting point, so:

1. An open source app
2. A hosted service of the same

> Some things like brokered reconciliation to existing reconciliation services (e.g. OpenCorporates) sound needlessly complex.

I think that is a matter of managing some complexity in an service like this, so that several apps consuming such a service do not have to write similar code to manage complexity.

> There are plenty of open source implementations of reconciliation services, but the problem with all of the ones that I'm familiar with is that they have very primitive/simple scoring mechanisms (prefix match, edit distance, etc).

If there are plenty that match a decent number of things we’ve listed here, it would be great to hear about them.

> They also typically only take a single attribute (ie column in your spreadsheet) when you can often get much more powerful scoring using multiple columns (e.g. name, occupation, birth date, nationality, etc).

Yes, this is pretty crucial.

> Another thing to consider is tabular vs textual entity identification.  In the medical domain it's not uncommon to have textual notes that you'd like to identify drugs, procedures, etc in.  The surrounding textual context in these cases provides useful information to help identify entities.

Yes, this is clearly a need we have in OpenTrials, and for part of the work there we’ll be using ContentMine ( http://contentmine.org ). In terms of how textual content can relate to a more general entity reconciliation service as we are describing here, I’m just not sure yet.

Best,

Paul