[okfn-labs] Entity reconciliation services

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 16:30:43 UTC 2016

Once you start talking about write support, you've opened a whole 'nother
can of worms.  If you just offer reconciliation services to someone else's
curated read-only data, you can avoid that whole mess.

If you look at the (former) Freebase ecosystem, the reconciliation API was
just a small piece.  There was also:

- a query API to extend a data set by adding new columns based on
properties of reconciled entities after reconciliation has taken place
- a namespaced identifier reconciliation service (somewhat) separate from
the main service which did strict ID lookup in almost 100 different
identifier namespaces here https://www.freebase.com/authority
- a backend data loading service called Refinery
http://wiki.freebase.com/wiki/Refinery which allowed users to both add new
entities and add property values to reconciled entities
- a web interface to flag pairs of entities for merge and single entities
to be split, along with a voting pipeline to allow people to vote on the
flags, and an escalation process for admins to resolve conflicting votes.

The data loading process was roughly:
- reconcile spreadsheet against Freebase
- map columns of spreadsheet to graph-based schema of Freebase
- do a trial upload to debug the first two steps
- when everything is good, upload to QA queue
- QA process samples the data set (at 95% confidence interval) and creates
queue of items for multiple voters to assess the quality of the sample items
- If the sample meets the quality threshold (>99% good), the whole dataset
is loaded into Freebase
- as part of the load, each triple is tagged with its provenance including
data source, tool chain used, operator of tool, etc.

After the bulk data load, any individual problems found are cleaned up
using the web interface (typically merging unreconciled duplicates).  There
was a *ton *of machinery, backed by a significant pool of paid microtask
labor to make that whole system work.

Wikidata has a much simpler mechanism which relies more on having a large
quantity of human labor available, but I predict that it's going to result
in lower quality until they implement a more robust infrastructure.

Maintainers of other registries such as Companies House
<https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/companies-house> and the
International
Plant Names Index (IPNI) <http://www.ipni.org/> manage by having a small,
focused domain which is curated by subject matter experts.

I suppose you could model a use case for software which could be used by
IPNI et al, but it seems like a huge piece of work to bite off.

Tom